At Fox, Tomi Lahren Continues Attack on Protesting NFL Players
Tomi Lahren spent the better part of the last year attacking black athletes kneeling during the national anthem as a protest against racial injustice. She’s not only targeted the group en masse, but has singled out players like Colin Kaepernick (who began the movement) using dog whistle (and sometimes outright racist) arguments.
Now – using her new Fox News position – Lahren is suddenly claiming she doesn’t know why these athletes are protesting. Joining the white-person-with-fingers-in-their-ears Trump flag brigade, she launched a new set of attacks on those engaging in peaceful protest since she learned long ago that disingenuously latching onto culture war topics and maligning people of color is profitable.
Despite having been told – repeatedly, by the players themselves – that national anthem protests are about racial injustice and systemic racism, Tomi Lahren disingenuously asked why they are kneeling. Though she’s admitted she doesn’t read (at all) and has little understanding of history as it relates to anything she speaks about, Lahren has undoubtedly seen interviews with football players who have explicitly said why they are protesting.
Add to that news today that after meeting, NFL owners will not force players to stand during the anthem (as Trump commanded them to do in a potentially illegal use of political influence) and Lahren’s latest bout of amnesia about black athletes speaking out about oppression is almost predictable.
“I would like to ask these players ‘What exactly are you kneeling for and why have you chosen the flag and the anthem to do it?'” Lahren said today on Fox and Friends.
Her question followed a rather lurid description portraying the players to being something akin to a disease saying the protests have “infected the league.”
After asking the already-answered question, Lahren added her own response saying she could ask a hundred different players and would receive “a hundred different answers.”
Why does it matter if their answers differ even slightly? They’ve all at one point or another openly admitted they are either kneeling to support their fellow athletes or to themselves protest racial injustice and systemic racism. This isn’t too difficult to understand.
The crux of her dog whistle laden screed came at the end of her argument as she proclaimed victoriously, “And then further more, I would like to ask those same players, ‘What would it take to get you to stand and respect the anthem?’ And again you’d probably get a hundred different answers, if you’d get an answer at all.”
Though she’s spent the better part of a year complaining about black athletes silently kneeling during a song written to glorify slavery, Tomi Lahren has said nothing about any other incident over the last year that would be considered disrespectful to the flag or anthem. Here are some of the most recent events she seems to have no problem with:
- Mike Pence walking out of a game as a form of protest of black athletes protesting the anthem. This was not only a protest associated with the anthem; no, it was planned, disruptive, and cost a quarter million dollars in taxpayer money. And not a peep from Lahren.
- White spectators at a Patriots game loudly jeered black athletes kneeling during the national anthem. Why is Lahren not scolding those spectators for disrespecting the flag and anthem? After all, flag code says standing is optional but has a lot more to say about vocal disrespect – something Lahren appears to have no opinion about.
- Astros outfielder Josh Reddick stripped down to a flag speedo as he was sprayed with alcohol in celebration of the team’s victory over the Boston Red Sox recently. This is a more flagrant, more serious violation of flag code than silently kneeling during the national anthem. Where is the Tomi Lahren Fox News segment on this incident?
- Perhaps one of the most blatant examples of Tomi Lahren’s hypocritical stance on the flag and national anthem is her refusal to call out or even mildly reprimand Donald Trump for not only talking through, but joking during the “retreat” bugle ceremony during his interview last week with Sean Hannity. While the ceremony is meant to honor soldiers and veterans, he had no idea what it was and joked it might be for him or Hannity’s ratings.
Given the abundance of examples of white people – politicians, sports fans and otherwise – disrespecting the flag and the anthem, why does she continue to focus her attention solely on black athletes? Why is Tomi Lahren focusing her attention on a small subset of people targeting a song with racist roots to speak out about racial injustice on behalf of those who don’t have the same kind of platform?
The answer is relatively simple.
Racism is Lahren’s Bread & Butter
Asking why Tomi Lahren targets and maligns black athletes is like asking why Fox primarily hires women that are blonde and caucasian. It plays well to their rabidly racist, predominantly white male audience that wants to have its preconceived notions and prejudices reinforced.
When not calling for mass genocide of Muslims or advocating for law enforcement to murder members of the Black Lives Matter movement, The Blaze commentator Tomi Lahren can’t help but to demonstrate just how racist and full of white privilege she really is. Case in point: Responding to Colin Kaepernick’s silent protest in sitting out the national anthem, Lahren took to Facebook this week to not only condemn his lack of patriotism for refusing to adhere to jingoistic political norms but to command he leave the country because he didn’t live up to the inflated conservative notion of what a real patriot looks like.
After receiving backlash for her statements, Lahren doubled down inserting even more racism as she argued he should be focusing on more pressing issues like black-on-black crime and the fact that his African-American father left him.
That’s right: Lahren not only used black-on-black crime – the most cliché, racist and unrelated go-to argument for white conservatives – but went so far as to use the deadbeat dad racist trope KKK members became famous for a generation ago when arguing against the rights of people of color.
But that’s exactly why she says what she says: she knows it will make her money. She’s already admitted that – despite proclaiming to “hate” Obamacare – she actually benefits from it by being able to stay on her parents’ health insurance. Why should this be any different?
Here’s video of Lahren putting on her dog whistle song-and-dance to earn her Fox paycheck by targeting people of color (yet again):
— Fox News (@FoxNews) October 18, 2017
- Kaepernick, The National Anthem & the First Amendment
- Tomi Lahren Argues Democrats Still Support Slavery
- Tomi Lahren Promotes Fake Trump “Assassination” Attempt
- Tomi Lahren Just Doesn’t Get It – And Probably Never Will
- Tomi Lahren Can’t Help Being a Privileged Racist
- Tomi Lahren Adds Homophobia to Her Racism Arsenal
- #BoycottNFL – Unmitigated Racism Takes Center Stage
- Pastor Says People Should Be Shot For Not Standing For the Anthem
- MA Student Punished For Sitting Out Anthem
- FL School Threatens Punishment For Anthem Protesting
- Death Threats Against Kaepernick Prove His Point
- Police May Refuse Protection Over Dolphins Anthem Protest
- NC Professor Threatens to Bring Gun to Campus Over National Anthem Protests
- Conservatives Celebrate Kaepernick Death Threats Today
- NJ Police Stage Anthem Counter Protest at High School Game
- Trump, the Anthem, Free Speech & the Fight Against Racial Inequality
- The “Right” Way to Protest
- Trump Disrespected the Flag & the Military During Hannity Interview